The decision to get the perfect website is not an easy one.
WordPress is cheaper but has limited functionality. Custom-built websites take time but are more secure and highly unique.
So, which one is the right choice for you?
In this article, we look into – WordPress Vs Custom-built websites.
Keep reading to know which website fits your business the best.
Without further ado, let’s dive into each of these options to uncover the good, the bad, (and the ugly).
What if you choose WordPress CMS to build your Website?
As an open-source platform, WordPress is a CMS tool that comes with a variety of templates for you to choose from. Creating your website here is easy, simple, and fast. Here is what you’ll get if you opt for a WordPress website.
- Budget-friendly: If you are looking for an easy pocket-friendly fix then WordPress is your best choice. It offers a wide range of pre-built templates and you can conveniently choose one that fits your bill. And since it comes with its functionalities, you will be avoiding the extra costs of paying a website designer or a developer.
- Time-friendly: Since the CMS is already developed in WordPress, creating a WordPress website takes a shorter amount of time. Additionally, WordPress also has a library of themes ready for you. This makes it easier for you as you don’t have to start from scratch, saving you a load of time.
- Design-friendly: WordPress already has several readymade templates. You can pick the one that fits your needs instantly.
- Limited function: One of the biggest cons of WordPress websites is their limited functionality. While WordPress has room for customization, the option for innovative customization is highly limited. If you still choose to go ahead with the customization, you will require a skilled developer to make the changes, which could appear to be costly.
- Limited SEO functionality: While WordPress has numerous SEO plugins that allow optimization of each blog for SEO, it is often difficult to modify SEO info. Due to different plugins, options for configurations, and themes, SEO settings in WordPress websites can be found in different places on the site. This makes it much harder to optimize everything.
- Security risk: WordPress is an interconnected platform and is therefore prone to security threats. If your website deals with sensitive information that requires high-level security, then choosing to develop your website on WordPress could be a risky choice.
A WordPress website is a great choice if your focus is on budget, time, and convenience rather than security and control.
What if you choose custom-built websites?
Custom-built websites are designed and developed by experts. You will have to hire a web design company or a skilled designer to help you. Custom-built websites come with their own set of advantages and disadvantages.
- Better control: Since you create a website from scratch, the website is unique and fully customized according to your requirements. Getting full control of your website is highly useful especially if you want to incorporate advanced features later into your website.
- Better speed: Custom-built websites have a higher loading speed than WordPress websites. WordPress websites can have numerous plugins that can be installed into their website. This results in a slower speed. A custom-built website will have these features built into it instead of having them in the form of plugins. Due to this, the page loads much faster.
- Unique: Custom-built websites give you the full control to create what you like and how you like it. You can be as creative as you want, making your website truly unique. And while they take a longer time to build compared to WordPress websites, you leave with a one-of-a-kind website that is cohesive to your brand.
- SEO-friendly: From structure to content, blogs, or even images, custom websites make it extremely easier to control all parts of SEO. While this is better for any business in the long run, it takes longer to set it up and get ready.
- Expensive: Custom-built websites are created from scratch. This means you will require the expertise of a skilled developer or hire a web design company. The cost of design and creation along with the hosting expenses and domain purchase can amount to higher investment.
- Better security: Custom-built websites are built as closed-source networks and therefore are not interconnected on any platform. This means less vulnerability to security threats on the website. Your developer or website designer can also maintain more safety by installing advanced security measures.
- Requires expert’s assistance: Custom-built websites are complex. Unlike WordPress websites, which are built for easy customization and maintenance, a custom-built website requires an expert’s attention for any additional modification or maintenance.
Custom-built websites grow with you. As you level up in your business, your website can be modified and maintained accordingly with ease. They are secure albeit expensive but a better option in the long run.
Which website to choose: WordPress or a Custom-built website?
Now that we know what we get out of each of these options, let’s look into the factors that will assist you in getting the right website for your business.
In general, the choice of the perfect website relies on various factors. Let’s break it down to get more clarity:
Choosing the right website is an essential part of your business and the plethora of information you get on the internet can be overwhelming, especially if you’re a startup. There’s no need to panic. The ultimate decision lies in the resources you have and the factors that you consider most necessary for your business. Good luck!